Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 6

 It's no secret that I love this run of Supergirl. It's all over my various social media sites. I might have even mentioned it here. (I did.) This week brought us to issue 6 of an 8 issue series by Tom King with art by Bilquis Evely and colors by Mat Lopes.

Issue 6 is one of the issues I've been eagerly awaiting. In the 60 years of Supergirl comics, we have never really gotten Kara's perspective on what happened in those last hours of Krypton, then the desperate scramble to protect the survivors from radiation (kryptonite poisoning) and the last hours of Argo City. We always skip that part and go to Earth and fast forward to her pretty little smiling face full of hope. 

Supergirl Variant cover by Steve Rude © DC COMICS 

Not this time. While we don't get it straight from Kara, we do get a very good retelling of the tale from her traveling companion, Ruthye as we continue our journey to find and kill Krem. It's not as long and as detailed as it could be, (thanks DC, for forcing Tom to whittle it down to 8 from 12 issues, asshats) but it's powerful and it's gut-wrentching and it's one of the main reasons I've loved Supergirl these last 6 years. It's the thing that drew me to her, initially due to Season one of Supergirl on CBS, where they first made me aware of it, but on a deeper level by reading her comics, from her very first appearance to this comic. I haven't read them all yet, a ton of them, but not all, but I can tell you this, Tom King and I saw the same things. The same strengths. The same amazing woman under all the pretty skirts, sexualized teenager variations, the forced smiles and virginal white savior bullshit that has plagued Supergirl on and off for years. This kid has been through it. Over and over again. She's tough. She never gives up. Plus, she's smart. One of the smartest characters in DC. I love that Tom keeps reminding us of this. This character has amazing potential and DC has just largely ignored it. 

We have two issues to go. I'm very interested in how he's going to wrap this up. Who she's going to be after this. I hope DC doesn't just ignore this run and go back to the up skirt sexualized virginal teenager with doe eyes full of hope and let's her be who she has always been underneath. One of the strongest, most powerful, full of potential heroes in their hands. Let women write her. Let Tom King write more of her. Let Tom Taylor write more of her. Let her be a little angry and anti-social and messy. She would be and it has been explained to you why. I'd love to see her grow into the Kara that Tom Taylor wrote in the one-shot story in "Nuclear Winter". It was my favorite Supergirl story before "Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow". "Being Super" is another favorite. These all work together. 

If you've never read a Supergirl story, I 100% encourage you to pick up all three of these Supergirl stories, but definitely Tom King's "Woman of Tomorrow".


From "Nuclear Winter" story "Last Daughters" by Tom Taylor with art by Yasmin Putri © DC COMICS



No comments: