Thursday, December 09, 2021

Review of "One-Star Squadron"

 


I picked this one up because it had Power Girl in it. And Red Tornado. I've always loved Red Tornado. 

Mark Russell is the writer with artist Steve Lieber & colored by Dave Stewart. 

I really enjoyed the art & was drawn in well with the storytelling. I was planning on waiting for the trade paperback to finish this one, but the story was compelling enough to make me want more. I'll probably grab issue 2. 

Okay, I'm going to spoil some things, so stop reading now if you want to read it.

****SPOILERS****

The story starts by giving us a rundown of what your 3rd or 4th tier heroes do to pay the bills. Which is basically anything but sex work. Birthday parties, private security, etc. It's called "Heroz4U" We cut to some nursing home/private care facility workers deciding to drop some dude off at the place. 

This is the real heart of the story. No one wants this guy. Not even, apparently, his wife. We figure this out when Red Tornado takes him to his last known address & she pretends not to know him. 

We learn that he is the old hero Blockbuster & that he's had a few too many blows to the head. Red Tornado gets him settled in at "Heroz4U" headquarters on the pull out couch. We also learn just how much Red Tornado depends on this job.

Our "villain" turns out to be one of our heroes. Someone who has given up the good fight & decided to go all in for capitalism. Power Girl. There's no place for empathy in capitalism. She throws Red Tornado under the bus to "the board". They suggest she keep an eye on him & report back to them. She's making a play to takeover.

I admit, I wasn't happy about Power Girl being the "bad guy", but it is interesting to see them doing something different with her. And ultimately, I hope she learns a good lesson & sees the error of her ways. I'm already slightly invested.

Great job, guys.

If you want something different but with characters you enjoy, I recommend it. I'm excited to see where they go. 






No comments: