Monday, January 03, 2022

Comics and the Holidays

(Last weeks comic haul)

Happy New Year, kids. Hope you made it through and that you got something you wanted. Even if all you wanted was a hug. 

It was another year of T & I just hunkering down and staying put. We got quite a bit accomplished though. She got some great writing/reading/cleaning done & I managed to clean my art room pretty well and set up the home gym. Now we can row, bike & lift in the warmth of home, instead of out in the cold, cold, garage or at the COVID-filled gym. My abs are sore as I write this.

We did celebrate Solstice and burned the Yule or Juul log and sing our merry song over the firepit and Santa did find his way inside to leave gifts again. Thanks, Santa! Neither of us opted for alcohol over the firepit this year. I think our alcohol years might be in the past. I'm fine with that. I get why people drink wine now. Or scotch. It's sipping old people alcohol. LOL

I got some fun stuff this holiday. Books, comics, clothes, a cup warmer, one of those deep muscle massagers & even a Supergirl action figure. 

(Look! Krypto & Streaky!)

(I'm on chapter 5. I'll review once I'm finished.)

(It's a hoodie.)

Look at that hoodie! As I've stated numerous times, I am absolutely enamored with Lena Luthor from the CW Supergirl series. At the end of the series she started her own Foundation and the tree of life/world/knowledge was her logo. Already being a tree of life/world/knowledge fan, (thanks Gilgamesh) I was very excited to get this hoodie and am wearing it today. It happens to also be Katie McGrath's birthday today. She's the actress that brought Lena to life and into my heart. Happy Birthday, Katie. Don't tell anyone though, guys. It's a secret. For real. 

(I got both #17 & #18)

Pretty happy that Santa stuffed my stocking with the Raven/Supergirl Brave & the Bold comics 17 & 18 by Marv Wolfman. Gotta love Marv. And look at that weird bodiless head jutting onto the page on the cover! What is that even about?! Guess I'll have to read it. 

Did you see that comic haul photo up top? I'll be reviewing some of those coming up. Especially the Echolands and Human Target. I snagged a Firestorm 1982 #1 and a Hawkman 1986 #1 from my local shop. I loved both these runs so much as a kid. I'm really happy I came across the #1's. 
Hawkman had Hawkwoman (not to be confused with Hawkgirl), and boy did I love me some Shiera. I loved Carter and Shiera's relationship. In fact, it might have influenced the kind of relationship I wanted in the future. Firestorm was just such a cool concept to me and it's still one of my favorite costumes. That flame on his head, too. He's quintessentially 80's. Who were some of your favorite non-A list heroes as a kid? Let me know in the comments. 

Happy 2022, folks. 




 

No comments: