Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Jennifer Walters Returns

© Marvel Comics

 During COVID lockdown here in the USA, which sadly lasted like 2 weeks, and will NEVER happen again no matter the circumstances because CAPITALISM, I decided I wanted to help support some of our local businesses. T & I picked 3 or 4 and focused all our spending on them. One of them was a local candy store that makes the most delicious candied, chocolate, caramel & anything you can think of covered apples you have ever had. When we needed a treat, these guys were our go-to. Another place we focused on was our local comic shop. I've lived in places with no comic shop & I really did not want that to happen again. Our shop was pretty progressive about the whole COVID thing, too. They managed to keep their employees by having him available by phone & email a couple days a week & he would send out any books you wanted via USPS. With all the down time, I actually had time to read! And read we did. T & I got a ton of new books.

I decided I would pick books about heroes that had always been in the back of my mind. Heroes I didn't know, but had always wanted to get to know. I started with Power Girl. Power Girl is a different version of Supergirl & it seemed like a natural place to start since I was really into the character at the moment. 

The next hero I chose was She-Hulk. Jennifer Walters. People call her Jen. I can't believe I had never read She-Hulk. It was soooooo good, you guys. I read this one, to start: She-Hulk  and I loved it so much. I grabbed more. So, to say I have been looking forward to the new run is an understatement. Today was the day. She-Hulk #1 dropped into my local comic shop and I managed to snag two different covers by two of my fav cover artists. ArtGerm and Adam Hughes. Sadly, there was no Jen Bartel cover to be found. Ebay, I'll be seeing you later. 

It was fun. Clearly a bit of a character change from the usually feel of She-Hulk, but one that fits with Charles Soule's run and I suspect will tie in nicely with Tatiana Maslany's version in the new Marvel TV series coming to Disney+. It was a nice start. I'm hoping we get a little more depth. The big fight scene ended hilariously & I felt it in my soul. I will definitely pick up issue #2. 

How about you? Any heroes you've always wanted to jump in and learn about but just never had the time?  Let me know in the comments. 

No comments: