Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What is this? Video Week? Maybe.


Before it's gone forever, you should check out PBS.  Frontline is an especially amazing investigative program that covers all sorts of relevant issues that affect people like you and me every day.  Things that never make your local news or the papers.  Things you SHOULD know.  The DVD above is over Forensics and how we, as America, define what makes an "expert" in the field of forensics.  It's quite eye opening & pretty damn frightening.  It's easy to see how so many innocent people end up in jail. If you want to order it from PBS, it's $19.99.


Nova has always been one of my favorite shows.  I remember watching it when I was just knee-high to a grasshopper.  Sadly, once PBS is axed, it will disappear as well.  The DVD above is also $19.99 and also is an interesting look at how Forensics as a science is still new & not really consistent nor 100% accurate.  There are examples of how it has been used to send innocent people to Death Row and even those who were put to death using false interpretations of forensic data. Again, I was shocked to see how much some cases depend on one supposed "experts" testimony which is nothing more than a loosely based scientific guess sometimes.  It really engaging stuff.  I learned things I would most certainly keep in mind if I ever get to be lucky enough to be on a jury.


No comments: