Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Batwoman Comic



I've read quite a few comics in my life. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but probably somewhere above an amateur comics reader. Not quite a Professional comic reader, but close. I don't know a bunch about certain artists & writers, but I do have a few favorites. Probably the first comics writer I ever paid attention to was Ed Brubaker. I mean REALLY paid attention to. I had read Daredevil for years, but Brubaker made him more than a comic. He made Daredevil a real person. Deep, emotional, with real world problems. Mr. Brubaker was at the last Wizard World Texas Con I went to. I skipped his workshop, something I really regret, to get or see something else. Luckily, T went to the workshop, so I got a pretty good account of his workshop from her. I think it was Mr. Brubaker that really put the writing bug in T's ear.

There are few comics that really grab me. I like great writing & complex characters combined with good to freaking fantastic art. Brubaker's Daredevil had both. They were top notch. I really miss them. Mike Mignola & Eric Powell are the other two who light my comics fire. I have yet to ever pick up a B.P.R.D., Hellboy, or Goon that I haven't loved. I have almost everything Mr. Mignola & his team have ever made. I'm catching up on Mr. Powell's Goon.

So where does Batwoman fit into all of this? I'll tell you what, for me...she is right up there with these guys. DC's new 52 relaunch didn't really change anything for Batwoman, other than her issue number. She was just re-launched Spring of 2006. There was tons of media hype about how DC had made the character a lesbian & blah, blah, blah. I actually avoided picking it up at first because I didn't want anyone thinking I was buying it just because she was a lesbian.

Once I did pick it up, I was awed by the art. It was gorgeous. Stunning. I had to see more. The writing was pretty good to boot. With the new 52 Batwoman, not only is the absolute beauty of this title still intact, but the writing is better. It is co-written by J.H. Williams III & W. Haden Blackman, with the art also being composed by Mr. Williams III. I say composed because that's what it feels like as you move across the pages. Mr. Williams had been the artist on the Batwoman graphic novel "Elegy". Personally, I hope he never leaves. This guy is a master.

I realized, after reading Batwoman, that it was really refreshing to see that even though there was tons of media hype about Batwoman's sexuality, it didn't really translate into the comic. It's written much like Brubaker's Daredevil. Real world problems & real world situations. How refreshing. A strong female lesbian character that isn't being forced. I know women just like Kate (Batwoman). Her sexuality doesn't define her, it just happens to be part of who she is. No big deal. Batwoman has a thing for cops & Batman has a thing for cat burglars. It isn't the main thread of the story.

If you haven't picked Batwoman up yet & you enjoy great writing combined with fantastic art, I suggest you go grab the first three issues. I can't wait to see where these guys go with this. I think it's going to be one of the best comics of 2012.

No comments: