Friday, October 28, 2011

Happy Birthday (you sexy statue you).



The Lady Liberty was unveiled on October 28, 1886. Her image was created by the Sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi.



The Statue was a gift from France to America to commemorate the centennial of the American Declaration of Independence. Benefit theatrical events, art exhibitions, auctions and prize fights assisted in providing needed funds in America, while the French used public fees, various forms of entertainment, and a lottery as methods of building money to complete the project.






Lady Liberty was built in France, then transported by the French ship "Isere" to New York Harbor & arrived in June 1885. It took 4 months to assemble her on her pedestal for the whole world to see.



I love this statue. I'm sure their is some bias in my love for her since I was born American, but the whole idea of her is romantic. A beacon of hope for those who struggle to be free. The torch lighting their way to a land of Freedom & Opportunity. Can you imagine what the sight of her standing in that harbor has meant to millions who have managed to reach her shores?

One day I will stand at her feet & weep. I don't care who sees me. I will weep for the idea to create her. I will weep for the effort to raise money to make it real & those who saw to give to a cause of creating art. I will weep for those fought so hard & braved so much to get here, and for those who didn't make it. I will weep for the joy that she was not one of the targets on 9-11. I will weep for all those that made it possible for me to have the Liberties I have, even though for me, they are less than some in my country. I will weep for her as she watches liberties being stripped away from women as we descend, falling backwards, rather than moving forward. I will weep knowing that I was lucky enough to live in a time & place in the universe where she stands & where what she stands for exists.


(photo by murphydean)


Happy Birthday Lady Liberty. May you stand for countless ages to come.

No comments: