Tuesday, June 07, 2011

"What if" Sketch

I saw this painting of a girl wearing a fox head on her head. A beautiful watercolor. It was something like the oil painting here, except the colors were bright & vivid & it was beautiful. Beautifully disturbing. The more I looked at it the more disturbing it became. There is a beautiful animal that has been killed & it's head has had the lower jaw removed & it is being used as a type of mask or hat. The girl wearing it is classically beautiful & is smiling as if she is carefree. Much like a happy frolicking fox. She was even a red head.

That painting made me think. Kudos to the artist. I wish I could find it to share with you, but alas, it is hidden in the matrix of the internet.

It made me think about how people view animals as ornaments. Decorations. Accessories. I wondered, "What if there was no discrimination between human & animal?" I mean, I myself, do NOT think of myself as a higher life form, but just a different one. I even think some animals might just be smarter than people. They have kinder souls. So, what if we didn't. Would some people wear human heads, like some people wear animal heads?

So I sketched something. It might become a painting or a pen & ink or something. Right now, it's just a sketch. A disturbing sketch. I'm not sure how far I want to take it.

No comments: