Monday, December 06, 2010

Helmet laws



Let me start off by saying, in my opinion, helmet laws are unnecessary.

First of all, helmets don't save as many lives as they want you to think. Sure, maybe the person lives, but rarely are they the same person. Brain damage happens even with a helmet. Just ask a football player. So, would you consider being completely paralyzed & eating out of a tube a triumph of helmets? I wouldn't. So don't fall for all the buzz about helmets.

Secondly, if I'm an adult, shouldn't it be my decision? Why should you get to decide whether or not I have to wear a helmet? Do I get to decide that you should wear a jacket outside when it's 32 degrees outside? I mean, you could catch a cold & die without a jacket, so maybe I should get to tell you that, right? Jackets do save lives. I bet jackets save more lives than helmets.

Now, if you ever get to see the news or read the paper, you will notice that they always mention whether or not the person was wearing a helmet when there is an accident involving a motorcycle. This is to sway people into pushing the helmet law agenda.

I've got an idea. How about everyone operating any motor vehicle has to wear a helmet. Yep, even you people in cars. Imagine the lives we would save! Race car drivers wear helmets, so why not average drivers. That's right, lets make sure that you are seatbelted in & have your safety helmet on. Millions of people die from head injuries every year. Let's go a little further & make anyone who has to go out when it's slick wear a helmet! That way if you slip & fall you won't conk you head & die! Look at the number of people we would save.



According to the CDC, approximately 1.7 million people sustain a traumatic brain injury annually. So obviously people are too dumb to be let out without a helmet on. Also according to the CDC website: "Direct medical costs and indirect costs such as lost productivity of TBI totaled an estimated $60 billion in the United States in 2000.3" Guess where tons of those come from? Guess!? Football. Yep, football is statistically more dangerous than riding a motorcycle & they ALL wear helmets. Maybe we should just outlaw football. 61% of all Traumatic Brain Injuries are among adults aged 65 years and older. Alright seniors, you have to wear a helmet 24/7. If you are getting off the couch, you gotta put your helmet on.

Okay, so , I know, a little overdramatic. Seriously though, when do we stop. Motorcycles are dangerous. Duh. So are cars, sports & lots of other things. Adults do NOT need protective laws for their person. Seatbelt laws, helmet laws are an intrusion. It's a nanny law. I wear my helmet. I know the risks. Every once & a while I ride without it. Look, if I'm going 40 MPH & some idiot pulls out in front of me, there are no guarantees. I know this. Honestly though, there are NO guarantees in life. You never know how you're going to go. If someone wants to ride across the highways on a steel horse & feel the wind in their hair, why should it be any of YOUR business. Leave it alone. Go volunteer somewhere & help someone who really needs it.

2 comments:

ChromePlatedGirl said...

I always wear my helmet. It's not a law, but I get so nervous when I see people without helmets on.
I see your point, though, but I worry.
I'd like to try to ride without a helmet sometime. Maybe in a park or something.

Chris said...

Talaura, I wouldn't let you walk without a helmet...cuz that would look funny :P