Thursday, May 06, 2010

music Thursday Feat. Lena


Lena Potapova is from Russia. If you know me, you know I love Russia & Russians. I don't know why, other than Russia is so very old & lots of crazy & cool things have gone on there & the people are survivors. They don't seem spoiled or lazy. Now, to be honest, I've never been there. I have no idea how it really is. All I have to go on is the few Russians I've met & stories from my friends that have experienced Russia.

Lena is the perfect example of a survivor. She has been beat up, charged as a Russian spy & locked up, managed a restaurant in Tibet, almost been sold into a brothel in China, and finally managed to make it to the good old USA. You'd think things would get better, right? Nope. The USA just treated her the same way as the rest of the world. She has been stigmatized for being an immigrant, abused & even raped. All of this has not stopped her.

She writes & sings music, blogs, and has a column with Shankbone. She is very opinionated about sex & has a very unique perspective. Go check all of it out. I really like some of her stuff.

I think for me, she's one of those people that I look at & think, wow! she is living her dream despite everything that has happened to her. I really have no excuses.

No comments: