Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Movie Review Monday Feat. Breakin' & Breakin' 2


That's right, this Monday I'm going old school with the movie review. Somehow, all through the 80's, 90's & 00's I managed to never have the privileged to enjoy the films "Breakin'" & "Breakin'2: Electric Boogaloo". Both movies were released in 1984 by Cannon Films. Both films incorporate street dancing & the emergence of rap music. Ice-T appears in both films. I absolutely loved these movies. I'll be honest, it's easy for me to love anything that I feel really captures the feel of the 80's & I really feel like both of these movies did. That feeling that dance or music or art could bring the world together & community centers & love could get people off the streets, set them on the right path, & change the world for the better always reel me in. Definitely feel good movies. The street dancing is really cool to see. I was quite the break dancer myself in 5th & 6th grade. The films are a pretty average 80's formula. Rich dancer girl unhappy with where she is at meets cool urban street dancer. She is pulled into a world of dance she never knew existed, where people feel what they dance & are real, unlike her fake greedy money hungry world. Confused by her feelings & feeling like a bit of an outsider she returns to her fancy dance school where her dance instructor forces himself on her. She pushes him away & runs back to the street dancers. They form a group, TKO, which stands for a combination of their street names, Turbo, Special K, & Ozone.

I want a cool street dancer name.

Anyhoo, the movie then becomes about trying to get the uppity dance companies & show producers to recognize street dance as a legit art form. It is also about looking past stereotypes & what our parents have told us about the "bad" side of town. We are all people with dreams, wants & desires.

Seriously...I absolutely loved this film. If you love Flashdance and/or Xanadu, you will probably LOVE it as well. If you do not like either one of those movies, then I don't recommend Breakin' or Breakin 2 to you. You just aren't the kind to sit back & enjoy a fun movie. I guarantee, you will not be able to sit still. Before you get to the end of the film you will find yourself getting up off the couch & breakin' yourself.



The second film was just as good & went with the community center threatened by rich white people who don't get it plot. For as cheesy as it is, funny how this plot is still true & happening all the time. I've always wanted to save a place by dancing & getting the whole neighborhood to dance the bulldozers away. It would be so cool to pull off in real life.

So, if this summer, you find yourself bored & in the mood for some cool 80's dance & feel good vibes, don't hesitate to pick these two films up. I bought them for about $6.00 a piece at my local retailer.

No comments: