Friday, February 19, 2010

Music Thursday will return next week...

So I got all excited about Roller Derby after I wrote the post on Wednesday & decided to start a painting of a Derby girl. I sketched/thumbnailed something out while at work, stuffed it in my Biker jacket, Vroomed home & started the painting.

I decided to go with oil. That might have been a wrong choice because I probably could have finished it that night with all the enthusiasm I had going, but I had to wait for the paint to dry. I'm still waiting for the paint to dry. *sigh* Oh well, at least it's started & I really like the composition of it. Perhaps I'll do the rest of it in acrylic.

I don't know why I feel like no one takes acrylic seriously. I've been pushing myself to paint in oil more because I think somehow that makes my art seem more "real" or somehow more legit. I see paintings in shows & they always seem to be oils & never acrylics. Is there a reason for that? Is oil considered more legit?

I paint fast, so acrylic has always been a much more comfortable medium for me. That's part of the reason I've picked oil up as well. I'm trying to push myself out of comfortable places. Still, the waiting really causes me to loose steam & sometimes interest in what I'm doing. What do you guys/gals/peeps think?

No comments: