Tuesday, November 24, 2009

So how's the roofing going?

So if you remember, I am getting a new roof. I went with Millennium Roofing and my field Representative is Ted Webb. So far the whole process has been like trying to buy a car. I got the main house roof replaced but I feel the work is sub par. There are still broken boards clearly visible in the attic, some of the shingles appear to have been laid to close together causing them to bow up, the siding has still not been replaced, I had to fight with them about the ridge vent, the shed still needs done, & we haven't even gotten to the work on the inside of the house yet. There is little or no communication from Ted & I have no idea when they are supposed to finish. I emailed Ted today & I received a call from someone speaking for Thomas in broken English who said they were from Millennium but sounded like they were 12. What I got from the conversation is that they wanted to know when they could finish. Funny, as of Friday, Ted said they would come out Monday. Now it's Tuesday & they are calling me? This is getting really irritating. Ted said he'd bring me my receipt for the $4007.99 that I handed him on Thursday for the work they started Friday but now, on Tuesday he has yet to bring it by. I have a bad feeling about this. I did copy the checks before I cashed them & have all my bank receipts. What have I learned from all of this? Never go with a company that says they will help you with the insurance or seem eager to cover everything for you based on what insurance money you get. Never even let the company you go with know what insurance company you are with or how much you are getting. Make absolutely sure you don't mention that you have replacement coverage. Get a detailed estimate, figure out all the costs beforehand, make them go into the attic with you & watch them like a hawk when they start putting the new roof on. Whatever you do, do NOT sign a contract until you have everything down to how many nails they use per shingle, what kind of shingles, etc, and a total cost of replacement & repairs. The insurance company will cut you a check before the work starts, so you don't need to worry about any up front money. The estimate should let you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you & when you get your insurance money then you will be able to go with the estimate & roofer that best suits your needs. Many of these roofers tell you they will work out the insurance for you, but that is really just their way of making sure they get all of your insurance money & they make more profit. Do not let them handle the insurance for you. If you get the estimates, work out the costs, & keep all the insurance stuff to yourself, you may end up a little ahead of the game. They will push, like a car salesman will push to find out how much you can pay per month as opposed to letting you know the full price of the car. This is how they make more money. All in all this has been a real pain in the ass, and I wish I would have known all of this beforehand, but at least I've learned & seem to have a roof that is way better than the one that was on there. Still, if you are looking for a roofer, Millennium would not be my first choice. Then again, I've got coworkers & friends that say Big Sky messed up their chimney & Affordable Roofing sucks. In Oklahoma getting honest work done by honest contractors is nearly impossible.

No comments: