Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Northern Widow


Wow! Look what I found under a big plastic pond insert in my backyard! It's a Northern Widow. They are just like a black widow but less aggressive and more uncommon. They have orange red spots all the way up their backs. Like when a Cylon's spine glows. BSG fans know what I'm talking about! There was also a beautiful black widow under there as well. No males, so I think they might have gotten eaten! However the black widow female did have a beautiful egg sac she had constructed. I was in one of my first Buddhist dilemmas. A deadly poison spider in my yard. If I take it somewhere else, am I not making it someone else's responsibility and shrugging it off? If I put it in a field, well that field belongs to someone and what if it bites them? Then it would be my fault. I don't want to kill it, but it can't stay in my yard. What do you do? After much deliberation I destroyed the egg sac and killed the black widow. I was instantly overcome with terrible remorse and sadness and I cried for two hours. Who was I to kill this beautiful black widow or her hundreds of babies? So now I still have the Northern Widow in a Mason Jar and I try to feed it and take care of it, but what a terrible existence, living in a Mason Jar. I need to find a Buddhist nun and ask options of what to do in a case like this. I still feel really bad about the whole thing.

No comments: