Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Donating, Giving, Helping.




I have some amazing friends.  They have started team donating to charities.  It's pretty cool to watch.  They get together and before you know it, someone in Massachusetts or Iowa or Idaho has a fully funded project or supplies for a classroom or money for chickens.  Last year I found that I had money to give and I did.  It was nice helping people reach goals.

This year, I have nothing to give and it bums me out a little.  I watch them knock down one charity after the other and I sit here wishing I had something to spare.  I don't have cable.  I don't have a phone.  I clothesline dry my clothes (when it's not storming or freezing).  I ride my motorcycle as much as possible in order to save gas.  I'm considering riding a bicycle to save more and get in shape.  We haven't rented or gone to the movies since that last sci-fi Tom Hanks/Halle Barry flick.  We've cut back on how much food we buy, but not the quality.  I refuse to eat poisoned tasteless food shaped crap. Still, nothing.

I decided that maybe making others aware of certain groups in need might help.  So, I went over to the site my friends are using and I found one I like.  I'm going to do my best to donate something myself, but I hope that some of you will give as well.

I picked an Art and Autism one.  Art because without it, I would have thrown myself off a bridge or hung myself in the garage a long time ago.  Autism because art is something that an autistic child really needs.  It is a pure way to express.  Autistics can be extremely visual people.  To not have access to the tools to create those visual expressions would be like me lopping your arms off and taping your mouth shut.  I also picked this one because this teacher obviously seems to understand that.  He also did not mention God, politics or tell me "God Bless You" on his page.  That will turn me off to donating faster than anything.  I've seen a bunch like that.

So, if you have a bit to donate, please do.  He's only asking for $288.00.  It's all broken down to show you what he is buying and where your money will go.  If you can't, I get it.  I'm broke, too.  Click the link below to go to the donation page:

http://www.donorschoose.org/project/amazing-students-with-autism-love-art/985643/

You can also explore the site, like I did, and find something that speaks to your heart.

Thanks.


2 comments:

Cindy said...

Jen...I just saw this. Next month I will be putting my $10 into a different project. If this one is still around and needs funding, I'll give to this one. Send me the link in an email.

You have given so much more than money. Don't feel guilty. We do what we can.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Cindy and I just talked about this one for our May project. It doesn't expire until August.
We're on it!
love -Tal