Monday, May 03, 2010

Movie Review Monday


The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Terry Gilliam. Terry Gilliam is one of those people that I absolutely love, but think should not write screenplays. His imagination is amazing. The ideas & visuals he comes up with fantastic! His plots & stories are thin & sporadic. I can't say I didn't like this movie. I can say I wasn't satisfied with it. There were so many directions & plot lines to follow. What I wanted to see never manifested itself. All the actors were great & again, the visuals were awesome, even inspirational to a painter like myself, but overall, I once again had to question why Gilliam never seems to really dig deeper & follow through. Sure it had a main plot, but just like in his previous films, sometimes the main plot isn't the most interesting plot. It's not the one, as the viewer, you really want to explore. If you like Gilliam, then you'll like this movie. If you don't, then skip it. If you aren't big on plot & don't mind plot holes & multiple plots all running at the same time, have at it. I really think this could be a fanfic writers dream. There are so many things you could take & run with in this story. I'd give it a C. Not wonderful, not terrible, visually pretty, & inspiring story ideas.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Check out Brazil. You really have to mull all the pieces of that movie over for awhile. I think it's his best work. Let me know what you think.