Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's an extremely sad day for Metal Heads...



I came into to work today, turned on the computer, loaded up my usual set of social networks, went downstairs, got my coffee, came back up stairs, signed in and was greeted with terrible news. Peter Steele of Type O Negative passed away. My first reaction was anger. Anger that he let the drugs & depression take him. Anger that T would never get to experience them live. I was lucky enough to catch them with Ozzy in the late 90's. It was a concert experience I will never forget. I researched the band & tried to keep up with Peter & his fight against deep depression & addiction after that show. I was jazzed when he did a duet with the Goddess of Metal, Doro Pesch, even if it didn't quite work. It seemed like he was headed in a good direction. I've read he was. No one knows yet whether he OD'd or if the years of Cocaine & alcohol just finally caught up with him. Cocaine is extremely damaging to the heart & never repairs itself. It could be that it finally just gave out. Still, 48 is way too young to go.

Celebrity deaths or any death, usually makes me sad simply because someone didn't make it. Someone's demons won. I hate it when the demons win. I hate it because I too have demons. We all do to some extent. This is why we have to live for the moment. This is why we need to see ours dreams through today, not tomorrow or next week or next year, but NOW.

I never met Peter, but I've never heard a bad word about the guy. Most people described him as extremely sensitive, big-hearted, & a genuinely good guy. He was quite sarcastic in his musical lyrics & I LOVED that. Type O made me laugh, rock, and feel deeply, but there was a deeper haunting feeling there as well. It's almost like Peter was able to transfer his deep sadness through the music sometimes.

I hope Peter is in a better place. I hope his family & friends are able to get through this & move on. This one hit me hard. Maybe because it was a misunderstood, creative, sensitive artist that seemed to be a really good guy that we just lost. I don't know. All I know is I'm glad he had enough courage to get his art out there. I'm glad I got to know Peter Steele's work. I couldn't have created some of my works without his playing in the background.

R.I.P. Peter.

Oh, but that's not all. Right after I see that Peter Steele has passed I find out that Pretty Boy Floyd's bassist, Vinnie Chas, has also passed. I just had their cassette playing in my stereo yesterday. Yes, I said cassette. I was super excited about Pretty Boy Floyd coming to the Zoo Amp in OKC & had pulled it out to play for T. Now, I'm almost 100% certain he wasn't going to be on the tour (I think they have another bassist), but I've always been a pretty big fan. Two bassists I admire in one day. I'm telling ya, I'm feeling pretty low.



R.I.P. Vinnie

No comments: