Thursday, August 30, 2007

About to be FREE of the man!

Thank the gods T went to college. I have been bustin' my ass for 6 years at the lousy stink hole i am employed by and still haven't gotten a promotion and still make under $9.40 an hour. I fall in what is considered the "poor" bracket. How is that possible? I've worn down my body, I've spent precious time and energy doing something that isn't ART or even ART related, yet for 6 years I have been loyal, hardworking, and greatly unappreciated. My last raise wasn't even technically a raise. The cost of living rose twice what my pay increase did. I've been discriminated against, lied to, promised things that were never to be, stolen from, and harassed. And that's just by the people I work with and for, not the customers. Don't even get me started on the customers. Now, however, there is a ray of hope. Let's say a rainbow of hope. T got a job at the college! Her pay will be 4 times what I was making after 6 years. Now, you tell me what's wrong with corporate America. My CEO makes $1,000,000 a year. I tried to take a three week vacation and you know what they told me. No. Why? Because three weeks is like a leave of absence and they would have to hire someone to fill in for me. How many vacations do you think my CEO got? How many weeks was he sunning his flabby white belly in the sun drinking pina coladas, and I can't get three weeks? 6 years of dedicated service and 3 weeks is too much to ask. They have to hire someone to cover my "leave of absence", but they can't give me more than a 14 cent raise? I was "strongly" discouraged from taking even 2 weeks together, and lectured about my RESPONSIBILITY to my co-workers and my loyalty to my place of employement. What about my life? What about my T? What about my dreams and desires and relaxation time. What the HELL! I want all of you, as you go out to shop this week and weekend, to think about that poor sap checking you out. If they come off a little short or bitter, just think back and remember, that poor son-of-a-bitch can't even get a break. You try working for 6 years and not being allowed to go frolic in the sun for a couple of weeks and see how cheery you are. Luckily, just knowing there is a light at the end of this long, long tunnel makes the bitter turn just a little sweeter. I will get the corporate world back! You just watch.

No comments: