Monday, August 21, 2006

Comfortably Cyborg

So, I have been playing around with this story about cyborgs, and I looked up the word cyborg in the dictionary, because, well, I've realized sometimes I think I know what a word means, but I really don't. The definition of a cyborg is as follows: A person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device. WOW! So, there are cyborgs walking around all over the place. Anyone with a pace-maker is a cyborg. I know an actual cyborg! I also know a cyborg that has an implanted insulin machine. Anyone with an implanted hearing device is a cyborg. I realized I know a hell of a lot of cyborgs! Then I thought about how weird it is that as a society we are more comfortable walking around with or becoming cyborgs than we are with using stem cells. We would rather become machines than to use our own genetic material to replace parts or heal ourselves. Then I just got really creeped out.

No comments: